Thursday 17 December 2015

EU Reform Mini-blog

In the news today is yet another story about the proposed EU reforms being negotiated prior to the IN/OUT referendum to be held before the end of 2017. As I said in a previous blog post I am in favour of remaining in the EU however on the issue of reform I must say I am rather disillusioned. In his letter to Donald Tusk the Prime Minister was less than ambitious on the things that he was looking to renegotiate. Leading MPs attacked the Government's position as weak and I myself have to question whether the Prime Minister was interested in returning power to the UK or simply appearing like he was being tough on Europe.

One notable asset that Mr. Cameron has gained lately is the support of Italy. This comes as bitter news however as the OUT campaign is polling ahead of the IN campaign and the conclusion that the proposed reforms will need treaty change according to MPs.

If Mr. Cameron has a rabbit in his hat now would be the time to pull it out...

2 comments:

  1. Every country has its sovereign status and it is now a shrinking world/global village with trade facilitation across countries. There are about 53 commonwealth countries which trade with the United Kingdom,China and for that matter Asia,United States,Australia,etc.Before the economic union of Europe,The United Kingdom existed unilaterally as an independent economic/political country and traded with all the rest. If there is strength in numbers constituting a single block as the perceivable want the country to stay in,why haven't they admitted all the countries in Europe into it and again why have the colonial blocks undermined all the efforts for instance the Africa union which even started before Europe did? The fact remains that Britain is a very buoyant economy which can manage itself out of any situation which an exit may bring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there. I don't doubt that the UK could survive outside the EU, I support being in Europe though as despite it's faults the EU is a benefit to our nation. I put my points forward in my earlier blog post found here:

      http://torynetwork.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/house-keeping-grant-shapps-and-my-view.html

      Delete