Friday 27 November 2015

Free Speech and why it matters.

You may notice a bit of a theme to my discussions and activities over the last few days. I've talked about freedom more then once. I've mini-bloged about an organisation which supports a free and liberal society. It's because freedom is an issue which matters and I want to make everyone understands just why it matters and why we need to defend it in this era where human rights are challenged.


Today's topic is free speech. Something very dear to me as I am a proponent of free speech.


I believe it is a corner stone of not just democracy but civilisation itself.


Without the ability to speak without fear of persecution there would be a stifling of social progress, scientific progress and cultural progress. We would literally freeze as a civilisation and fade into the historical dust. This freedom to say what we want has been restricted, we are not allowed to incite hatred against others, which is to me at least a fair restriction, and we are not allowed to make accusations without fear of financial reprisal if those accusations turn out to be false, which again I find quite a reasonable thing.


It seems however that in recent days even this flag stone of our democracy is under threat. Noted speakers like Germaine Greer have come under fire from groups seeking to silence them because they disagree with their opinions. Now I happen to disagree with Germaine Greer's opinion of transsexuals but would I support banning her from speaking at events? of course not. It is through argument and disagreement that we have political and social change. If you disagree with her point of view rather then trying to silence her you should challenge her on it. Go to the debate and ask her to defend her opinions.


The trouble with today though is no one is willing to do that. They think they have a right not to be offended. Sadly you don't.


I am offended whenever Katie Hopkin's opens her odious mouth on TV and spouts whatever noxious thought has come into her mind. Unlike those who tried to silence Germaine Greer though, the audience at Ms. Hopkin's latest speaking engagement simply walked out. They accepted that she had a right to speak but decided that they weren't interested and so showed her precisely what they thought about her opinions. I applaud the audience that did this and I welcome their sensible mature approach to a situation like this where they did not try to prevent someone exercising their right to speak freely.


Society is a give and take. At the event I attended on Wednesday evening, Forgive us our trespasses: the moral case for choice & responsibility, one of the speakers (I believe it was James Cleverly MP but as they were all brilliant I could easily be mistaken) made the point that with rights come responsibilities and without one you cannot have the other. On free speech this is particularly true. You cannot expect you right to free speech to be maintained if you are not willing to allow others that same right. Otherwise free speech becomes a privilege not a right and that is something I as a social liberal could never and will never support.


There is a host of academic research on free speech. Different scholars argue for different things, they disagree with one another even. It is what drives forward the debate. Do we count flag burning as free speech? do we count political donations as free speech since it allows your chosen party to express views you support? all of these are mammoth questions that I will not even attempt to answer in this blog, but all of the articles I've read suggest that free speech (even if some regulation is needed) is important and we must keep it from becoming anything other then our most sacred and cherished right.


Otherwise we might find ourselves in a society where opinion is suppressed just because it might cause offence...


No comments:

Post a Comment